Step 1: Clearly Communicate Benefit OfferingsFamily-building, and fertility benefits in particular, can include complicated benefit structures. Make sure your HR team understands exactly what your company is offering and can explain it clearly, as it’s important to describe all the benefits in a way that’s accurate and easy to understand. Also, be sure to include information about any offerings in addition to fertility treatment, such as surrogacy or adoption, if applicable. Any communications should emphasize who to contact for more information in order to make it easier for employees to utilize their benefits.
Step 2: Communicate Through Multiple ChannelsEmployees may prefer to learn about their benefits in different ways. Some employees will read an email, a flyer, or an employee newsletter that highlight the family-building benefits, while others may prefer the personal touch of a small group session. Since infertility is a personal subject for many, be sure to indicate how employees can obtain details about their benefits in a private way. To ensure that all employees have the opportunity to learn about their benefits, use a variety of methods to communicate the benefit offerings, such as:
- Distribute a flyer summarizing the benefits, including contact information for the employee to learn more.
- Include the benefits in your company’s internal newsletter.
- Hold town hall meetings about the benefit offering.
- Host individual Lunch and Learn sessions, which can be an informal and friendly way to spread the word.
- Make sure the family-building benefits are part of any personalized dashboards your HR team creates for employees.