Bilin Media

WIN Nurse Care Manager Spotlight: Viola Perez


As #MensHealthMonth is coming to close, meet our Nurse Care Manager Viola P. and learn about what options can be considered for a male wanting to build a family after receiving an infertility diagnosis.

Nurse Care Managers like Viola have significant experience working in the fertility space and are a great resource to provide one-on-one guidance and support to their patient throughout this entire process!

Q. How long have you been working at WIN?

A. 7 years

Q. How long have you been a nurse?

A. 17 years

Q. What is your favorite part about your job?

A. My favorite part of my job is educating clients about fertility.

Q. Could you walk us through what potential options may be considered for a male looking to build a family after receiving an infertility diagnosis?

A. For males in a heterosexual couple, it depends on what lead to the infertility diagnosis (abnormal sperm vs no sperm) will determine next steps. Next steps could include (depending on the clinical situation) follow up with a male urologist and possible hormone therapy (Example: taking pills or injections to improve sperm count if that’s applicable to the clinical situation). It can also include workup of female and depending on the results of that either proceeding with IUI (intrauterine insemination) or IVF (in-vitro fertilization). For single males/same sex male couples/LGBTQ+, family building requires third party reproduction services in the form of egg donors, sperm donors, or gestational carriers (surrogates). Gay couples/single males wanting to have a baby can have a child through gestational surrogacy. This requires an egg donor, surrogate, and an IVF treatment in order to build a family. Some of the questions for same sex male couples/single males to consider include:

  • Whose sperm will be used?
  • Who will donate the eggs? (Can also consider use of an egg bank)
  • Who will carry the baby?

Q. With June being Men’s Health Month, can you highlight the importance of male testing and cryopreservation offered in our WIN for Him services?

A. If the male is in a heterosexual relationship and the female is under 35 years of age, and you have not become pregnant after a year, then it is important to see a reproductive endocrinologist for a workup of both parties. If the female is 35 years of age or older, it is important to see an RE after 6 months of trying without becoming pregnant. The male would need semen analysis and bloodwork done. He can also utilize WIN for Him for the semen analysis testing.

Freezing of sperm is an offering from WIN for Him. It can be considered for males who travel and are undergoing fertility treatment and for those that may be ill (Ex: undergoing cancer treatment). This option can also be considered for those who are considering transitioning and/or on estrogen hormone therapy.